Sunday 6 October 2013

Be a Mentor {Mandela Day} 32 / 67 ways to change the world

OK so I took a little break from it, but as promised on Mandela Day 2013 (19.07.13), this is part of my series on their 67 suggested ways of changing the world. This one comes under the category of 'Become an Educator':


32. Mentor a school leaver or student in your field of expertise.

In my church (regenerationchurch.co.uk) we have a discipleship structure where there are mentoring and accountability partnerships in place for anyone who is serving regularly, in a position of leadership or in an upfront role. To me, this was a bit of a shock and a new way of doing things that I had not encountered in previous churches. At first I was not too happy about it, as I use to be a very private person, but now I fully see the value and necessity of it! 

I started off as a mentee (unaware that I was in desperate need of guidance!). After some time, I was asked if I would be interested in mentoring some of the younger girls. I was terrified and said NO because I was sure I was not equipped to deal do it, but my pastor/mentor reminded me that it is God that equips us to do what He calls us to! 

So now I am a mentor as well, which can be scary as it is a huge responsibility, but at the same time can be extremely rewarding! If I think back to many of the major crossroads in my life where I clearly made the wrong choice, I see a common denominator that is not having had someone older/more experienced that I felt I could fully trust or go to for advice. 

I feel blessed and grateful to have my mentor that I can go to for advice and wisdom, and my accountability partner who always seems to be going through similar things to me and is an incredible support! I am also blessed to have a couple of mentees who are teaching me just as much as I am supporting them. 

Kids and youth often don't have positive role models at home or stable adults that they can go and talk to when they need support and advice, so if you can fill that gap, then please consider doing so! If you are part of a church with a mentoring programme, GREAT! Get involved! Otherwise, you can search for Christian or secular organisations that look for mentors for children and young people. Think of the role models in your life- if they were lacking/non-existent, just think how much you have longed for stable/constant ones. If they were solid role models, be grateful and be realistic about where you would be without them! Now, imagine being able to be that rock for a child or a young person... and then imagine how much easier it would be for them to understand when you start telling them about the love of God and how He is ALWAYS there for them and will NEVER leave or disappoint them..? You see what I mean..? :)

Mentoring can be personal, spiritual, academic, career-orientated, skills-based, whatever! Find out what the need is and see if you can meet it.

Blessings!

Ronell x





No comments:

Post a Comment