Monday 1 October 2012

New Year's Resolution.. in October!


It is 1st October again…

A year ago today I found myself in a bar in London, tipsy and confronted with someone with some serious, deep-rooted emotional issues who was in desperate need of some answers about God and why bad things happen to good people.. I was completely unable to give them any solid/convincing answers because my mind was fuzzy from the alcohol. Desperate to help this hurting soul, I went to the toilets and tried to Google some scriptures on my phone, but alas- no internet. I was desperate and I cried out to God for help. His response was clear: “How am I supposed to use you to witness to others when you are in this state- an unclear mind and slowed speech?”. In this moment I felt challenged to stop drinking for a period of time. As the evening wore on, I kept feeling challenged that it should be for a whole year. I just brushed this to one side and thought it would be impossible, but the conviction just grew and grew. Today, it is exactly a year later- an alcohol-free year later- and you know what, I think I might just carry on with it. What a difference it has made!! I decided that I would give something up/change something different every year… a bit like an extended Lent!

This year at Soul Survivor week C (http://www.soulsurvivor.com/uk/ss2012/), there was a lot of talk about making a difference to our world and the fact that there are more slaves now than there have ever been!!! And NO, I don’t mean in third world countries! I mean right here, in Europe, in the UK! I knew I had to help make a difference!

So here I am again, 1st October… This year, instead of giving up a bad habit, I have decided to form a positive one, birthed out of the passion I feel for making a positive difference in this world and in the lives of others. I want to be bold for God and to make a difference in this world that He has entrusted to us. Like my good friend @JamiePoch wrote on his Twitter bio: “I want it to be said of me:'He took risks, not eating raw cookie dough kind of risks, but risks that challenged himself &others to do something daring for God.'”.. well, I agree!

This year, I will be posting every day about the little (and big) ways that we can make a difference in our world. It will be useful links, tips, articles, scriptures, etc that will cost you (little or) nothing other than time and commitment to change. See how many of these you are able to implement!

Blessings!

Ronell x




2 comments:

  1. Ronell, I come along your blog when I listened to your story in church and it was a really good blog and the first type I've ever read! Xxxx :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kiera- I really appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed it :) xx

    ReplyDelete